These features are available to all users
Welcome to MindMeister! If you're new to mind mapping and looking for a quick-start guide, you've come to the right place. Take a look at the short tutorial video below, then read on to learn more about getting started in MindMeister. Happy mapping!
In this Article:
- Tutorial Video: Create Your First Mind Map
- The Dashboard
- Using the Map Editor
- Customize Your Map's Layout
- Share Your Mind Map
Tutorial Video: Create Your First Map
Take a look at this short video tutorial to learn how to create and organize your first mind map in MindMeister.
Remember these key steps from the video to quickly get started and build your first mind map:
- Visit www.mindmeister.com to access the MindMeister dashboard.
- Click the plus icon (+) at the top of the dashboard to create a new mind map.
- Double-click the central (root) topic in your mind map to name your map.
- Press ENTER to create sibling topics.
- Press TAB to create subtopics.
As soon as you log in to MindMeister, you'll see the dashboard. From here, you can see all of your mind maps (both private and collaborative) displayed in list or grid view. Sort between recent, favorite, and deleted mind maps in the left sidebar, or click the large plus icon (+) to create a new mind map.
Click here to learn more about the MindMeister Dashboard.
Using the Map Editor
Once you've created your new mind map, you'll be taken to the map editor. From here, you can create new topics and subtopics using only two keys: TAB and ENTER.
- Press TAB to create new subtopics.
- Press Enter to create sibling topics on the same hierarchical level.
The Styling Toolbar
Right-click any topic to open the styling toolbar and perform advanced actions.
The styling toolbar contains five separate tabs:
- Actions: Use this tab to Add connections, comment, add notes, upload images, add attachments, and assign tasks in MeisterTask.
- Style: From here, you can change a topic's appearance.
- Icons: Add an icon or emoji to a topic.
- Layout: Click this icon to change the selected topic's layout.
- More Options (...): Cut, copy or edit your map topic.
Looking for more? Click here to explore the MindMeister Map Editor in detail.
Customize Your Map's Layout
Choose one of MindMeister's auto-layout options to quickly organize your topics. If you'd prefer to manually drag and drop topics on the canvas, you can also disable auto-layout.
Click here to learn how to customize your map layout and add floating topics.
Share Your Mind Map and Collaborate with Others
Share your mind map with other users via e-mail invitation or a shareable link to collaborate in real time. You can also assign other users read-only or editing privileges to protect your data and work together more effectively.
Click here to learn more about sharing your mind map and managing collaborators.
That's just the beginning...
Want to learn more? Check out these articles to learn more and get the most out of MindMeister: