This feature is available to all users
Switch to Outline Mode in the bottom-left corner of the map editor to view and edit your MindMap as a bulleted text outline.
Switch to Outline Mode
You can switch to Outline Mode via the pop-up menu in the bottom-left corner of the map editor:
- Open a mind map.
- Click Mind Map in the bottom-left corner of your screen.
- Select Outline from the pop-up menu.
The hierarchy of your mind map will be reflected in the structure of your outline list. Your map’s central topic will become the main heading, first-level topics will become subheadings, etc.
Outline mode is only available on the web app.
Edit Your Map in Outline Mode
Once in Outline Mode, you can edit topics and rearrange your mind map from a new perspective.
- To create a new topic, press ENTER.
- To change a topic's hierarchy level, use TAB and Shift + TAB.
- To move a topic, highlight the topic and press CTRL + UP or CTRL + DOWN.
- Click the expand arrow next to a topic to toggle between showing/hiding its sub-topics.
Tutorial Video: Turn an Existing List into a Mind Map
If you've already created a list in a word processor, you can copy and paste the list into outline mode (CMD/CTRL + V) to turn it into a visual mind map. To find out more, watch this short video tutorial:
Be sure that your list is properly formatted in your word processor. Use separate lines (Return) to create new topics and use indentations (Tab) to show sub-topics and hierarchies.
Ask your question in the Meister Community!